Destination weddings used to be a far away dream, but with the cost of travel dropping, these weddings are much more attainable for the modern bride. A wedding far away is a like a dream come true but with every dream comes difficulties along the way. We are here to share with you both the pros and the cons of destination weddings
Pro: They can cost less
According to Young and Thrifty.ca, destination weddings will cost you an average of $17 000, compared to $25 000 for at home weddings. Why is it cheaper? There are a number of reason. In some cases, resorts offer entire wedding packages, which can work out to be cheaper than hiring vendors individually. Couples also save on honeymoon costs, as the travel part is already taken care of. Finally, most destination weddings have less people, ergo, cheaper overall cost.
Con: Your guests are expected to pay their own way
It is the expectation for guests to book their own travel package to make it to your wedding. While some couples choose to assist guests with expenses, it can quickly cause the budget to grow. A good compromise is planning well in advance to allow your guests to save, budget, and rack up travel rewards points in preparation for your big day.
Pro: Your celebrations can extend through the duration of your trip
Having a trip planned totally based on your nuptials is a fabulous way to ring in your newly married life. It goes without saying that having more time to celebrate will allow you to make wonderful memories with your friends and family. A more traditional wedding would typically only last one day, so having extra time takes a little pressure off of you and the guests.
Con: There may be more legal red tape
Depending on where you go, there is different legal requirements. Countries like Brazil and Cuba have visa requirements. In Mexico "you have to get a blood test and provide a lot of paperwork including original birth certificates that have to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator" according to DestinationWeddingDetails.com. Ensure you have plenty of time to research and gather the required legal documents before your big day.
Pro: You can use your destination as a theme
How adorable would beach themed favours be, or tropical inspired invitations? You can draw from the scenery as inspiration for a number of wedding details.
Con: Some wedding packages might not be to your preference
The money saving option of booking a wedding package means things might not be totally personalized to your style. Since you likely will be booking without a personal consultation, you can't predict the temperament of the photographer, or how exactly the food will taste. If you are a perfectionist, then visiting the resort prior to your wedding, or flying in a specific vendor might ease your worries.
Each couple has a lot to think about when planning a wedding, and the choice on where you have it is one of the most important ones. Whether you tie the knot in your backyard in Parksville or on the sandy beaches of Cuba, we wish you the best of luck and love.
-XO Tres Chic Bridal
- Nov 1, 2017 2018 Trends & fall favourites Nov 1, 2017
- October 2017
- Sep 20, 2017 Blog: Styled Shoot with Lisa Kopp Sep 20, 2017
- Aug 31, 2017 How to get the most out of wedding dress shopping Aug 31, 2017
- July 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- Feb 15, 2017 Dealing With Vendors Feb 15, 2017
- Feb 1, 2017 Save or Splurge? Valentines date Ideas for every budget Feb 1, 2017
- Jan 23, 2017 Introducing: GREENERY, Pantone's Colour of the Year Jan 23, 2017
- Jan 13, 2017 Ti Adora Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 8 tips for picking vendors Jan 2, 2017
- Dec 17, 2016 How to Score Wedding Deals on Boxing Day! Dec 17, 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- Apr 30, 2016 Finding the Right Veil Apr 30, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 Tres Chic Bride - Amanda Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Top Spring Weddings Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Top 10 Reasons why you should get married in the Spring! Apr 9, 2016
- Feb 17, 2016 Let you shine through Feb 17, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016 A casual photo shoot at the HCP gardens Jan 8, 2016
- Dec 27, 2015 An intimate "Italian Shoot" Dec 27, 2015
- Dec 19, 2015 A LITTLE SELF PAMPERING WITH SHARON RAI & RITA STEENSSENS Dec 19, 2015
- Dec 11, 2015 Winter Wedding Shoot Dec 11, 2015
- Dec 9, 2015 Real Bride - Krystine Dec 9, 2015
- Dec 5, 2015 Christmas at Tres Chic Bridal Dec 5, 2015
- Nov 25, 2015 Share a secret Nov 25, 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- Aug 26, 2015 Tres Chic Bride - Lindsay Aug 26, 2015
- Jul 1, 2015 JULY IS TRES CHIC GIVEAWAY MONTH!!! Jul 1, 2015
- Jun 15, 2015 Sneek peek at what we've been getting up to... Jun 15, 2015
- May 2015
- Apr 25, 2015 SPRING SAMPLE SALE! Apr 25, 2015